SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and online marketing are two essential concepts when it comes to promoting a business online. They are often misconstrued as the same thing. Though they are very similar, they are two different concepts used to help you navigate marketing in the digital world.
These concepts have so much overlap, which is why there tends to be some confusion about what SEO is and what online marketing actually covers. To help you understand the difference between SEO and online marketing, we will cover some basics to help you use these tools to your advantage.
Online marketing is the use of digital technology on digital channels or platforms that enable a business to promote their product or brand. It is a form of marketing that has to adapt to the Internet as it changes continuously in order to keep your online business thriving.
- SEM (Search Engine Marketing)
- Marketing A Website Through Search Engines. Paid Marketing Through The Internet To Be Ranked Higher In Organic Searches, Paid Listings, Or Both.
- SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
- SMM (Social Media Marketing)
- Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Linkedin, Pinterest, & More
- Content Marketing
- Which Includes, Blogging, Articles, Video Production
- Email Marketing
- PPC Advertising (Pay-Per-Click)
- Mobile Marketing (Ads Targeting Mobile Devices)
Online marketing is so important in today’s society. Since 4.57 billion people use the Internet daily, it opens up so many opportunities for you to promote your business and get people talking about what you have to offer them. By using all of these channels of digital marketing, companies can get their brand in front of audiences all over the web. It introduces more ways to spread your message, all while engaging and enticing viewers to want your brand or product.
Now that we know what online marketing deals with, we can get into what SEO encompasses and its use in online marketing.
Search Engine Optimization or SEO, for short, is a way for businesses to promote themselves in such a way that it allows them to rank highly on Google.
It is an optimization technique that assists in maintaining or promoting your website in order to grow your viewership by being ranked higher in search results than your competitors. That is if you know what you’re doing.
In short, marketers use SEO to drive traffic to their brand’s content.
This is important for companies, especially new ones, in building their audience and consumer base. By optimizing your content, you can use search engines to raise the profile of your brand when specific keywords pertaining to your company are searched. It allows you to have a first page rank on Google, Bing, etc.
People prefer to find all of their information nowadays by searching the web, specifically Google. Google has over 63,000 search queries being processed every second. The majority of people will stop looking for search results after going through the first page. Making SEO fundamental for your business’s strategy and growth is important.
There are three common types of SEO to use in order to increase your rank for search engine results. First, is on-page SEO, which you perform on the website. It is the code a reader can see, such as a title or header. This is the information you input into your webpage that a search engine looks for.
Second is off-page SEO, which you use off of the website and on other platforms to create backlinks.
The final is Technical SEO, which is anything else the other two categories don’t cover in SEO. It deals with all of the behind the scenes coding done on your webpage.
- Optimizing Your Page Title
- Pages Meta Descriptions
- These Are Html Attributes That Display A Synopsis Of A Webpage. Search Engines Such As Google Will This To Influence User Click Through Rates While Searching For Something.
- URL Structure
- Clean & Formatted URLs Fair Best
- Keyword Density
- It’s Best To Incorporate Keywords Naturally Into Your Page Titles, Headings, Alt Text, & Meta Descriptions.
- Image Tags/Alt Image Attributes
- These Tags Provide A Text Alternative For Your Images To Be Accessed By Search Engines.
- Content On Pages & Blogs
- Need To Be Written Well Following The Optimal Guidelines – Easily Readable For The Google Bot.
- Yoast Is An Excellent Tool For Structuring Your Content To Rank Higher On Search Engines.
- It Is Also Useful To Integrate Social Sharing With Your Content For Your Viewers To Effortlessly Follow, Share, And Like Your Content.
- Quality Content through various means, including blog posting
- A Way To Store, Organize, & Save Links To Web Pages They Like Or Want To Share.
- Ex. Reddit
- Quality Video & Images
- Social Sharing Signals
- They Are The Likes, Shares, Pins, Votes, & Views Being Placed On Social Media That Filter Out Search Engines.
- Ex. Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, Linkedin, Etc.
- Natural Backlinks
- Creating High Quality Site Links That Will Link Back To Yours Seamlessly And Naturally.
- Engagement Through Questions & Answers
- Optimized Page Load Speed
- The Higher The Speed The Higher Your Page Can Rank & Vice Versa.
- Meta Tags
- These Are Invisible Tags Used To Provide Data About Your Webpage To Search Engines And Website Visitors.
- Be Mindful of your Content
- Ensure there is no duplicate content on your pages. It can confuse the search engine because it won’t know which page to rank higher and end up ranking them all at a lower spot.
- No dead links. When a 404 error occurs it means the page cannot be found and your ranking will drop with too many of these on your site.
- By ensuring you have a secure website you can ensure your user’s information will be safe. By using HTTPS you can secure your webpage and increase your ranking.
- Structured Data
- It allows you to tell search engines exactly what kind of product or service your company provides.
- XML Site Map
- An XML site map is the list of all the pages on your website. A map for search engines to maneuver. It will put posts, pages tags, into their correct categories so it’s easier for the search engines to find your important content.
All of these actions will increase your overall page activity and improve your ranking on search engines. They can be used with digital media, social, search, mobile, display, and much more. Deciding on the choice of digital media to invest in will depend on your company size, the industry you’re in, and the brand, service, or product that you’re marketing. A good Calgary marketing agency will be able to sit with you and determine the best approach based on those factors.
SEO and online marketing are two separate, but related terms used in digital marketing. By using SEO within your online marketing strategy, you can create amazing results for your business.
They are both key strategies for navigating the digital market, which is why it is crucial to invest both in a way that will work for your company. If you’re looking to enhance your SEO results, contact Ullaco Corp. Our Calgary digital marketing company can improve your business rankings and help you grow your brand.